June 30
Vyšehrad is a fortified castle with a museum, hidden passages, large grounds & remains of a medieval basilica. I didn't do much research on this area outside of the city core because I didn't realize we would plow through the city and my daily itineraries, AND I thought we were leaving this morning. Surprise -- we have an extra day in Prague!
We started off late with lunch at
Meduzzy around the corner.
 |
| We ran into our favorite concierge Jan on his dayoff. |
 |
| Prague has a connection with Hilo, in they love to put gravy on things. I craved french fries with goulash gravy. Da best! |
 |
| Aaron and I caught the Tram down the Vltava River to Vyšehrad. The fort, cemetery and Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul are located south of New Town. |
 |
| We were told the hike was long and steep. |
 |
| Me, all smiles before I got the wind knocked out of me half way up the hill. |
 |
| The view half way up was nice though. |
 |
| We made it! It's like we transformed back in time with cobblestone street and walls. |
 |
| The Vyšehrad Cemetery (Vyšehradský hřbitov) was established in 1869. It's where kings, saints and famous Czechs are buried, like Antonín Dvořák the composer and Alfons Maria Mucha, the Art Nouveau painter and decorative artist. |
 |
| A view of the remains of the original 11th century fort and Romanesque Bridge (Zbytky zdiva kamenného románského mostu). |
 |
| The Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul (Bazilika svatého Petra a Pavla) was originally founded in 1070-1080 by the Czech King Vratislav II. Over time the original Romanesque church was rebuilt in Gothic and now in a Neo-Gothic style. It is Roman Catholic. |
 |
| The Neo-Gothic style interior is unlike the other churches we've seen in Prague, being reconstructed in the 19th century. |
 |
| I'm touching history again! Bless me, Mary Magdalene! |
No comments:
Post a Comment