Friday, September 16, 2011

ACUPUNCTURE ALERT: Consult and treatment #1

I was inspired to finally try acupuncture, and specifically for infertility, after watching an episode of Giuliana and Bill on the Style Network, a reality series about two successful, busy celebrities. They too are having a hard time having a baby and was suggested to go for acupuncture treatments to help. I know Aaron and my odds are much smaller with my age and other problems but why not try it. At least we can afford it, unlike IVF.

I wasn't sure what was going to happen other than a consultation. I filled out a long questionnaire about my health and problems and it appears my migraines, cramps and fertility issues are coming from kidney problems.

I ended up having my first treatment based on Dr. Caruso's findings. Of course I was nervous but I wasn't afraid. I think growing up around Asian culture and influences, not to mention my mom's fascination with Chinese medicines and astrology and healing helped with the fear. I was nervous that I would be ticklish and end up being poked too hard or by mistake. But Dr. Caruso was a pro and did his thing with no problems. He distracted me when inserting the needles by asking me about my diet and what to eat to help more or less. More leafy greens are in order! I didn't feel any of the poking except one in my abdomen. Oh I felt the needle twist!

I laid there with needles in my skull, ears, arms, legs, feet and abdomen. My left leg felt like it fell asleep because I didn't want to move a stitch, and my nose kept itching! Luckily Aaron arrived half way through my lie-in and was able to help scratch my nose! I'd like to think that one needle that hurt hit my "problem area"! It got tingly and warm there, like the blood was flowing to that area to heal the organs. I guess that's the whole idea of acupuncture, right?

A half hour later the needles were removed and we were able to leave soon after. I never saw any of the needles and no marks or blood were present. I am so glad my first treatment was a positive experience! Now I await to see results before my next appointment in two weeks. Cross fingers for me!

No comments: