Aaron and I had a busy day today. We got back to having our Saturday Adeva haircut date in Oberlin but skipped our usual lunch date at the Feve. We drove back to downtown Elyria and had lunch at the Apple Festival. Aaron opted for a Stromboli while I decided to try the BBQ pulled pork sandwich. On our way back to the car we picked up our annual tradition -- Grobe's apple cider, a favorite of Aaron's, and some apple fritters for me. Ono!
Later we went to Cookie's house for dinner and Ken's family reunion. He had his out-of-town cousins over. Aaron's brother and step-siblings were there with their significant others as well. It was interesting. One of Ken's cousins from San Francisco is married to a Filipino and he was so excited to meet me. I watched as Ken's cousins videotaped their conversations with his mother, the last survivor of her generation. It reminded me of Aunty Ema telling her Kalapana stories.
Tonight reminded me of my own Konanui ohana reunions in Hawaii. I've been to many in my time and unfortunately I took the connections and culture for granted. I don't think Aaron has attended any Brlas or Chury gatherings, if they even have any. Sooner or later my generation will need to take over organizing those Hawaiian reunions. Being the oldest of the oldest (my mom) of the oldest (my grandpa Konanui) of the oldest (Tutu Konanui) it's important for me to make an effort. For my future keikis and for me to not lose the little Hawaiian culture I have in me. It's so hard living far away. I think most of my generation no longer live on the Big Island. But no excuse -- that's where technology and emails come in handy, right?!
Saturday, September 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment