Thursday, February 19, 2009

Ireland - Day 5

February 22nd

Wow, I woke up early and managed to drag Aaron out of the hotel room for breakfast. We found a nice deli/coffee shop called O'Brien's down the street and had some ham and cheese croissants and coffee. It was a pleasant surprise to find out it was also the spot where our aircoach was picking us up tomorrow. Our hike with our suitcases will be much shorter than when we got dropped off. I guess I'm never going to have that light breakfast I imagined having...

We went back to our hotel room to do our plane ticket check-in before heading back out for our daily adventure.

We finally made it to Trinity College and its famous library. We took the exhibit tour to see the Book of Kells, an illuminated manuscript written in Latin in the 6th-9th centuries, containing the four Gospels of the New Testament. Then we exited through the library's Long Room, a very impressive hall of thousands of rare, and in many cases very early, first copy volumes that's two stories high. Since we couldn't take pictures of these two impressive points of interest, I borrowed pictures from the web.


Me at Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland


Me outside the Old Library where the Book of Kells exhibit and the Long Room is house.


Since we couldn't take pictures or videos of the exhibit and hall, I borrowed this photo of the Long Room from the internet -- very, very impressive! I wish you could see the ceiling. It was made of wood planks, curved like what I image Noah's Ark looked like.


Aaron next to a courtyard sculpture in front of Berkeley Library, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland


Guess where I am? Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland

We ended up at Fitzgerald's Pub for lunch. Aaron had the shepard's pie and I had a very nice seafood chowder. A quiet pub with a soccer game playing on TV. I liked it.


Aaron at Fitzgerald's Pub for lunch -- what's that? No Guinness? He's trying Bulmer's Cider made in Ireland

Then we headed north along O'Connell Street, a major street filled with shops, restaurant and pubs. We passed the O'Connell monument, their Post Office, the Spire, a large, stainless steel, pin-like monument 390 ft. tall and the Parnell monument. We also passed the Writers Museum where the Bodies exhibit was going on. We found the second oldest pub, Conway's, but it was boarded up and closed. And we managed to find Chinatown by accident. Aaron got swarmed by pigeons down the alley. We made a circle at Moore St. Mall and headed back home. We found the Savoy, a theater where some of the film festival showings were held but nothing was going on when we passed.


Me with our left over breakfast, heading to O'Connell Street


The Parnell Monument and the Spire on O'Connell and Parnell Streets, Dublin, Ireland


Aaron in front of Conway's, Parnell Street, Dublin, Ireland


What's this... a Polish shop in Dublin?

We ended up at Messrs Maguire again, the pub we went to last night. I enjoyed myself watching another football game, making small talk with the bartender and having a pot of tea (a much better and wiser choice of drink!).

We made our way back to the hotel for a short break then headed back out for dinner. I wanted to make our night early since our flight was early the next morning. I was craving Chinese food so we found Charlie's in Temple Bar. Let's just say, Chinese food in Ireland is not the same as back home! I was disappointed.

Aaron talked me into going to the Temple Bar Pub one last time before going home to pack. The pub was packed despite it being Sunday. There was a live band playing. I surprisingly enjoyed myself, especially when the band played "Galway Girl" the song from P.S. I Love You, and "Wild Rover", another popular song by Aaron's favorite bands the Dropkick Murphys ans Shane McGowan.


Enjoying the traditional Irish music at the Temple Bar, Dublin, Ireland


Aaron enjoying a pint at the Temple Bar Pub, Dublin, Ireland

We ended the night packing and getting some rest...

No comments: